lunes, 13 de febrero de 2017

Seminario Socrático para discutir una película


I am finally going to try a Seminario Socrático. My AP class is just finishing this wonderful unit based around the movie "Diamantes Negros". Karen Goering's resources really helped students understand the movie and the problem on a much deeper level (scroll through here or Ctrl F "Diamantes Negros" to find activities for two articles and an interview).

Image result for diamantes negros películaPictureStudents did a lot of talking (one of my main goals) about the movie and have reviewed some grammatical structures. On Friday, they did their first Presentational Writing assessment (create by Karen Goering and adapted by me) and tomorrow (today is a snow day), they are going to discuss the movie using the Seminario Socrático format. There is so much to talk about in this movie! If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. I am really looking forward to hearing my students' thoughts and opinions about the movie.

I found this doc from AVID that explains (very thoroughly) what a Socratic Seminar is and I adapted it and translated it into Spanish. Click here to see it. I used it to explain to students what they will be doing and why. I also used the amazing Arianne Dowd's ideas to prepare students for the discussion. This document could easily be adapted to a variety of texts or movies, so feel free to make a copy and adapt.

1 comentario:

  1. Such great ideas and resources...thanks for sharing! I have used the Socratic Discussion for a couple of years with my upper levels and absolutely love it. I had not heard of Diamantes Negros and look forward to checking it out

    ResponderEliminar