miércoles, 22 de febrero de 2017

Radio Ambulante... Interpretive Listening for AP

I have an excellent group of AP students this semester, but it is still definitely a challenge to get them prepared to take the test with only 11 weeks of class (not including our two weeks of vacation). One particular challenge is the authentic listening that is all over the AP exam (multiple choice, persuasive essay, and interpersonal conversation).

So, in order to give them more listening practice, I created this 18 page cloze packet to go along with the latest episode of Radio Ambulante. There is no word bank, but the words that they have to fill in should be relatively easy. Thankfully, Radio Ambulante shares transcripts for many of their episodes; so, no, I did not transcribe all of this! Along with filling in the blanks, students will have to answer questions as they listen.

They will also have to fill out this grid related to the Essential Questions (all taken from AP). I envision giving this for homework, probably in 6-8 minute chunks over four nights. I really like having students do authentic listening outside of class because they can take their time and go at their own pace. I encourage students to listen 2-3 times when doing authentic listening assignments.

I absolutely loved the latest episode about Nélida. Here is the summary from the Radio Ambulante website:
It touched upon so many AP themes and, to me, was a fascinating story. Even if you don't use this with your students, I highly recommend getting hooked on this podcast! There are so many interesting and thought-provoking stories. I also loved this one (among many others). 

This is the second time I have used Radio Ambulante to create a lesson/unit. Check out this one about Puerto Rico.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario