I used this song last year (but with this cool video) in Spanish 1 because it is catchy and because of all the "soy" reps. This year, I did a bit more with the song/video. This mini unit for Spanish 1 was a big hit with students. I was sharing it freely, but have decided to sell it on TPT.
I created a slideshow (see parts of it below) that includes:
- information about the band
- some vocabulary slides to introduce and ask questions
- screenshots and text to "tell" the story of the video
- some slides for asking questions about the story
- a slide that has all of the screenshots (can be used for summarizing, speaking, and listening)
I created a doc for the mini unit that includes
- "I can" statements for the mini-unit (see below)
- a targeted vocabulary list
- links to Quizlet and textivate activities
- a link to a possible assessment
- a reading activity in which students have to find the Spanish words
- a reading activity in which students have to circle the correct word
- a reading activity in which students have to answer questions
- a reading activity in which students have to draw the story
- some personalized and creative questions
- an activity with cierto/falso statements
- a cloze activity of the song with the English translation
If you would like to purchase these materials, click here for Teachers Pay Teachers ($7.00).
These are my goals for this mini-unit:
- I can comprehend a story with visuals to support my comprehension.
- I can read a story and comprehend it without visuals.
- I can understand and pick out cognates.
- I can understand some words in Spanish because of the context, the visuals, or the actions of the teacher.
- I can answer questions about a story and about myself.